Berkshire Natural Resources Council
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC) is a nonprofit conservation organization in western Massachusetts that cares for the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohicans, who were forcibly displaced from the region by European colonization. As a land trust, BNRC conserves land, protects wildlife and habitat, preserves local farms, and provides free access to the Berkshire outdoors for everyone, at over 55 nature reserves across the region. Since 1967, BNRC has helped conserve more than 100,000 acres of forest, fields, wetlands, and farmlands, and now holds over 23,000 acres of land and conservation restrictions and manages over 60 miles of trails.
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (El Consejo de Recursos Naturales de Berkshire) es una organización sin ánimo de lucro que conserva el terreno, protege la vida silvestre y el hábitat, preserva las granjas locales y contribuye a mantener los exteriores de Berkshire libres y accesibles para todos. El BNRC está contratando personal. Aunque el trabajo que se describe a continuación se inicia completamente o casi completamente en inglés, el BNRC agradece el interés de los candidatos bilingües que puedan ayudar a la organización a ser más inclusiva en su trabajo.
BNRC’s Stewardship Department is seeking an individual to join its Trail Crew. This is a full-time, seasonal position (May through October) involving the construction of new hiking trails and the reconstruction/maintenance of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council properties. The majority of the season will be spent constructing and maintaining trail features such as retaining walls, steps, bog bridging, treadways, and other infrastructure. The construction of new trails on BNRC preserves is also scheduled for 2023. Other duties include hiking existing trails to clear blowdowns, assess trail maintenance needs and make repairs, and other property stewardship related tasks. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as volunteer workdays.
This is an opportunity to opportunity to hike to work every day, spend time outdoors in some of the most beautiful areas of the Berkshires, and engage in high quality trail building projects across BNRC’s 60-mile trail system. This position is hands-on, and projects can be physically demanding.
It is important that our Trail Crew members show a strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and professional demeanor. This expectation includes a commitment to being friendly and helpful when interacting with other members of the crew, BNRC staff, and members of the public visiting our trails. We seek candidates who are interested in learning about trail design and developing trail building skills and techniques, with the support and guidance of BNRC staff and outside contractors. This work is often collaborative, but crew members should expect to work independently on occasion.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Perform trail maintenance and construction to a high standard of quality.
- Work collaboratively with fellow trail crew members, staff across the organization, and with volunteers, youth crews and professional trail crews.
- Represent BNRC with integrity and professionalism at work and when engaging with the public.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment to high safety standards.
- Participate actively in trainings on tools and equipment and demonstrate an understanding of their function and limitations
- Occasional maintenance of BNRC properties, in support of stewardship crew, including:
- Trailhead mowing and weed whacking
- Trail corridor widening
- Clearing trails of fallen trees
- Repainting trail blazes
- Trash collection
- Property Improvement projects, such as:
- Installing/replacing signs
- Constructing and installing kiosk, benches, and other infrastructure
Qualifications. The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have some, and/or demonstrably related experience, please apply.
- Trail building experience or landscape construction experience is welcomed but not necessary to apply; the ideal candidate will have a willingness to learn, a strong work ethic, and an open mind.
- Training on specific trail construction techniques and best practices are provided; the expectation is that the applicant will be an active participant in training and seek to develop skills throughout the season.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics (prior experience with these concepts is not necessary).
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Willing to follow basic dress code requirements (long pants, work/hiking boots)
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County and work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
BNRC is an equal opportunity employer.
BNRC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against discrimination by federal, state, or local law.
We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. BNRC is actively engaged in ensuring its properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of its work.
Though the job described above will begin entirely or almost entirely in English, BNRC welcomes interest from bilingual candidates who can support the organization in being more inclusive in its work.
Compensation: Trail crew members have starting wage of $17/hour
- Option to enroll in group medical and dental coverage
- Paid holidays, paid time off pro-rated to match 6-month seasonal schedule
- 401(k) and employer match after first 6 months (applicable to returning crew members)
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts
Start date: Position starts in May but is seeking applications currently; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Trail Crew” in the subject line.
Please note: this position requires up-to-date Covid vaccination.