Berkshire Natural Resources Council
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC) is a nonprofit conservation organization in western Massachusetts that cares for the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohicans, who were forcibly displaced from the region by European colonization. As a land trust, BNRC conserves land, protects wildlife and habitat, preserves local farms, and provides free access to the Berkshire outdoors for everyone, at over 55 nature reserves across the region. Since 1967, BNRC has helped conserve more than 100,000 acres of forest, fields, wetlands, and farmlands, and now holds over 23,000 acres of land and conservation restrictions and manages over 60 miles of trails.
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (El Consejo de Recursos Naturales de Berkshire) es una organización sin ánimo de lucro que conserva el terreno, protege la vida silvestre y el hábitat, preserva las granjas locales y contribuye a mantener los exteriores de Berkshire libres y accesibles para todos. El BNRC está contratando personal. Aunque el trabajo que se describe a continuación se inicia completamente o casi completamente en inglés, el BNRC agradece el interés de los candidatos bilingües que puedan ayudar a la organización a ser más inclusiva en su trabajo.
BNRC is seeking a full-time Land Steward to join its Stewardship team. This position will assist with the management of BNRC’s fee-owned reserves with improved public access, and support all other aspects of the stewardship department. The Land Steward will serve as a crew leader for a seasonal crew during the summer months. This position will report to the Property Manager, and will work closely with all members of the stewardship team.
Specific responsibilities include:
- General property maintenance and land management including:
- Grass trail and field mowing
- Clearing trails of fallen trees
- Installation of signs, kiosks, etc.
- Identifying issues on trails and recording them online
- Other trail maintenance tasks
- Serves as crew leader for seasonal crew
- Monitors BNRC’s fee-owned properties for misuse
- Boundary marking and maintenance
- Makes sure crew has tools and equipment they need
- Maintains a high standard of quality
- Provides motivation and support to crew members
- Assists Trail Crew with trail construction as needed.
- Assists with volunteer workdays and public outreach events as needed.
- Workshop, tool, and equipment maintenance.
The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have some, and/or
demonstrably related experience, please go ahead and apply.
- Ability and willingness to obtain chainsaw certification (BNRC will provide training)
- Ability to work alone in natural areas, on and off trail.
- Comfortable hiking long distances with heavy loads;
- Experience operating or willingness to learn to operate power equipment like chainsaw, brush saw, walk-behind mowers, tractor and other power tools;
- Willingness to work outside year-round, in all weather conditions;
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with colleagues, landowners, contractors, and volunteers;
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel extensively throughout Berkshire County.
BNRC is an equal opportunity employer.
BNRC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against discrimination by federal, state, or local law.
We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. BNRC is actively engaged in ensuring its properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of its work.
Though the job described above will begin entirely or almost entirely in English, BNRC welcomes interest from bilingual candidates who can support the organization in being more inclusive in its work.
Compensation: $18.25 – $20.50 Depending on experience.
- Medical and dental coverage
- 24 days PTO (vacation/sick/personal) and 13 paid holidays
- Flexible hours and hybrid remote/office work
- 401(k) and employer match
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts