Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering two Seasonal Conservation Crew positions to individuals exploring a career in the environmental field.
With 107 conservation restrictions (CR) and 56 reserves totaling over 24,000 acres under BNRC management, the Conservation Crew’s time will be spent assisting BNRC’s Stewardship Coordinator with monitoring of CRs and boundary maintenance of BNRC properties. In addition to fieldwork, the crew will also help with compiling land management plans and baseline documents. The 40-hour/week position provides a $14 hourly wage. The crew will enjoy a high level of independence and a large amount of self-motivation is required. There is a mix of approximately 80% fieldwork to 20% office work. The seasonal position dates are May 24 to August 13, with some flexibility on both ends.
BNRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We especially welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. We are actively engaged in ensuring our properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Regular maintenance of BNRC property boundaries (marking, painting, signing)
- Monitoring of BNRC’s fee owned property and conservation restrictions
- Assist with writing Land Management Plans
- Assist with writing Baseline Documentation Reports
- Other stewardship related tasks as required
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Ability to carry up to a 30-pound pack for 5 miles over rough terrain
- Proficiency with ArcGIS preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Personal transportation
Opportunities and Experiences:
- Learn about basic land management techniques and challenges
- Learn about land conservation in the Berkshires
- 3 paid personal days, with the opportunity for a season’s end bonus.
Personal vehicles will be used extensively due to social distancing guidelines. Mileage will be reimbursed periodically.
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, March 1 until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Nicole Pyser, email@example.com. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org, or by calling 413-499-0596.
The seasonal positions are made possible by John Rice and family.