Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering two Seasonal Stewardship Crew positions to individuals exploring a career in the environmental field.
With nearly 23,000 acres under BNRC supervision, the crew will assist BNRC’s Stewardship Coordinator with Conservation Restriction (easement) monitoring and maintenance of reserve boundaries. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as free guided hikes and volunteer workdays, and will occasionally collaborate with the Seasonal Trail Crew. The 40-hour/week position provides a $13 hourly wage and free lodging in a rustic cabin on Onota Lake in Pittsfield. The Stewardship Crew will enjoy a high level of independence and a large amount of self-motivation is required. There is a mix of approximately 80% field work to 20% office work. The seasonal position dates are May 28th to August 30th, with flexibility on both ends.
- Conservation Restriction monitoring
- Reserve boundary marking and maintenance
- Public Outreach (e.g., leading hikes, tabling, public events, etc.)
- Occasional assistance with trail construction and maintenance
- Other stewardship related tasks as required
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Ability to carry a 35 pound pack for 10 miles over rough terrain
- Willingness to work long days outside in all weather conditions
- Strong communication skills
- Personal transportation
Opportunities and Experience:
- Experience with Conservation Restrictions
- Orienteering and boundary maintenance skills
- Basic understanding of land management techniques and challenges
- Basic understanding of trail maintenance and construction
- Free housing on Lake Onota in Pittsfield (bnrc.org/contact-us-2/employment/ for photos of housing)
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, February 4th until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Nicole Pyser, email@example.com. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org.
Please note: BNRC is also hiring two Seasonal Trail Crew positions. Visit www.bnrc.org/contact-us-2/employment/ to view the position description. If interested, you can apply for both the Stewardship Crew and Trail Crew with one application, just make a note when sending it in.
The seasonal positions and housing are made possible by John Rice and family.