Berkshire Natural Resources Council, a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering 2 Stewardship Seasonal Crew positions to individuals exploring a career in the environmental field. The Stewardship Crew will collaborate frequently with the Trail Crew.
The Stewardship Crew will assist BNRC’s Stewardship Coordinator. With over 22,500 acres under BNRC supervision, the crew will have the opportunity to work on a variety of stewardship tasks. This includes monitoring Conservation Restrictions and maintenance of reserve boundaries. The crew will also assist with outreach events including guiding public hikes and leading volunteer workdays. The 40-hour/week position provides a $13 hourly waged free lodging in a rustic cabin on Onota Lake in Pittsfield. Stewardship Crew will enjoy an unusual level of independence and a large amount of self-motivation is required. There is a mix of approximately 70% field work to 30% office work. The seasonal position dates are May 28th to September 7th, with flexibility on both ends.
- Conservation Restriction monitoring
- Reserve boundary marking and maintenance
- Public Outreach (e.g., leading hikes, tabling, public events, etc.)
- Invasive plant species control
- Trail construction and maintenance
- Other stewardship related tasks as required
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Ability to carry a 35 pound pack and tools for 10 miles over rough terrain
- Willingness to work long days outside in all weather conditions
- Solid communication skills
- Personal transportation required
Opportunities and Experience:
- Experience with Conservation Restrictions
- Orienteering and boundary maintenance skills
- Basic understanding of land management techniques and challenges
- Basic understanding of trail maintenance and construction
- Free housing on Lake Onota in Pittsfield (Click here for photos of housing)
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, February 26th until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Mike Leavitt, email@example.com. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org.
The seasonal positions and housing are made possible by John Rice and family.