This is a seasonal position (approximately August- October) focusing on the construction of new hiking trails and reconstruction of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council’s properties. The majority of the season will be spent building single track tread, constructing stone and/or timber trail features such as retaining wall, steps, and patio-laid stone. Other duties may include hiking other established trails to clear blowdowns, make minor repairs and assess other trail needs.
- Performs both basic and advanced trail work (with appropriate training and guidance) to a high standard of quality.
- Performs heavy reconstructive trail work including, but not limited to: single track tread construction, tread hardening, rock construction (cribbing, staircases).
- Works collaboratively as part of the Trails Team, with other staff across the organization, and with volunteers.
- Uses and maintains vehicles, tools and equipment to the highest safety standards.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- Minimum of one year or season of professional experience in construction, landscaping, or other trades associated with the responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to complete assigned projects and tasks, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn on the job and adopt specific construction methods and skills as prescribed.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics.
- Strong commitment to quality work and a positive attitude.
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County to work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required.
- Experience working with volunteer groups preferred.
- Interest in learning about trail design and treatments and developing trail building skills
Benefits and Salary
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, based in Pittsfield, MA.
Pay starting at $13. Please direct inquiries to Tyler Fogg at Tfogg@bnrc.org or (413) 499-0596.