Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is hiring two Trail Crew positions for the 2019 season.
BNRC has over 55 miles of trail, with more to be built in 2019. Trail Crew members will work with the Trails Coordinator to construct and maintain new and existing trails. The crew may work alongside contracted youth and professional trail crews. The Trail Crew will also assist with a variety of other stewardship tasks as needed. Applicants must have a high level of self-motivation, as the crew will often be unsupervised. The 40-hour/week position provides a $13 hourly wage and free housing in a rustic cabin on Onota Lake in Pittsfield. The season runs from May 28th to August 30th with flexibility on both ends.
- Trail maintenance and construction
- Tool/equipment maintenance
- Work/communication with youth and professional trail crews
- Public outreach (e.g., leading hikes, communicating with hikers, etc.)
- Experience with hand tools
- Trail crew experience preferred (tread work, rock/timber structure, etc.)
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Ability to carry a 50-pound pack for 10 miles over rough terrain
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Personal transportation
Opportunities and Experience:
- Free housing on Lake Onota in Pittsfield (org/contact-us-2/employment/ for photos of housing)
- Trail work experience and training
- Work alongside professional trail crews
- Learn about land conservation in the Berkshires
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, February 4th until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Nicole Pyser, email@example.com. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org.
Please note: BNRC is also hiring two Seasonal Stewardship positions. Visit www.bnrc.org/contact-us-2/employment/ to view the position description. If interested, you can apply for both the Stewardship Crew and Trail Crew with one application, just make a note when sending it in.
The seasonal positions and housing are made possible by John Rice and family.