Berkshire Natural Resources Council, a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is hiring 2 Trail Crew positions for the 2018 season. The Trail Crew will collaborate frequently with the Stewardship Crew.
BNRC has over 50 miles of trail, with more to be built in 2018. Trail Crew members will work with the Land and Trails Coordinator to construct and maintain new and existing trails. The Crew will work alongside contracted youth and professional trail crews; some backcountry camping may be required. The Trail Crew will also assist with a variety of other stewardship tasks as needed. Members must have a high level of self-motivation, as the crew will often be unsupervised. The 40-hour/week position provides a $13 hourly wage and free housing in a rustic cabin on Onota Lake in Pittsfield. The season runs from May 28th to September 7th with flexibility on both ends.
- Trail maintenance and construction
- Tool/equipment maintenance
- Work/communication with youth and professional trail crews
- Public outreach (e.g., leading hikes, communicating with hikers, etc.)
- Experience with hand tools required
- Trail crew experience preferred (tread work, rock/timber structure, etc.)
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Comfort with being alone in the woods
- Ability to carry a 50-pound pack for 10 miles over rough terrain
- Willingness to work outside in all weather conditions
- Experience working with youth preferred
- Personal transportation required
Opportunities and Experience:
- Free housing on Lake Onota in Pittsfield (Click here for photos of housing)
- Trail work experience and training
- Opportunity to work alongside professional trail crews
- Learn about land conservation restrictions and other environmental issues in the Berkshires.
Interviews will be set up on a rolling basis starting Monday, February 26th until the positions are filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Mike Leavitt, email@example.com. Additional information can be found at www.bnrc.org.
The seasonal positions and housing are made possible by John Rice and family.