Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering Trail Crew positions to individuals interested in hands on, rewarding work throughout 12,000 acres and 55+ miles of trails under BNRC supervision and some of the most spectacular natural environments in Berkshire County.
This is a full-time, seasonal position (May through October) involving the construction of new hiking trails and the reconstruction/maintenance of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council properties. The majority of the season will be spent maintaining hiking trails and paths, and constructing trail features such as retaining walls, steps, bog bridging, hiking tread, and other trail features. Other duties include hiking existing trails to clear blowdowns, assess trail maintenance needs and make repairs, and other property stewardship related tasks. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as volunteer workdays. Trail Crew members often work solo and self-motivation is required. Trail Crew members report directly to the Trail Crew Leader.
BNRC prioritizes employee health and safety and as such, COVID-19 related guidelines are in effect. Applicants must be able and willing to follow state health and safety protocols as well as those instituted by BNRC. BNRC provides basic PPE to field staff.
BNRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We especially welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. We are actively engaged in ensuring our properties are welcoming to all, and increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Perform trail maintenance and construction (with appropriate training and guidance) to a high standard of quality.
- Work collaboratively with trail crewmates, staff across the organization, and with volunteers, youth crews and professional trail crews while maintaining ongoing social distancing guidelines.
- Represent BNRC with integrity and professionalism at work and when engaging with the public.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment to high safety standards.
- Other duties as required.
- Trail building experience or landscape construction experience is welcomed but not necessary to apply; the ideal candidate will have a willingness to learn, a strong work ethic, and an open mind.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members.
- Complete assigned projects and tasks, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Learn on the job and adopt specific construction methods and skills as prescribed.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics (prior experience with these concepts is not necessary).
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Commitment to friendly and helpful interaction with hikers and other BNRC visitors on the trails and in public.
- Interest in learning about trail design and treatments and developing trail building skills
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Willing to follow basic dress code requirements (long pants, work/ hiking boots).
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County to work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required. Due to state COVID-19 guidelines, crew members may be required to utilize personal vehicles for transportation to and from work sites. Mileage beyond a certain baseline distance will be reimbursed.
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, based in Pittsfield, MA. $14-$16 per hour depending on experience. BNRC offers excellent benefits including 401k eligibility, as well as health insurance, sick and vacation time, accrued at the rate specified in the BNRC Employee Handbook. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Tyler Fogg c/o email@example.com.