Employment Opportunities at Berkshire Natural Resources Council
Job Posting: Stewardship Coordinator
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC) is a nonprofit conservation organization in western
Massachusetts that cares for the ancestral homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of
Mohicans, who were forcibly displaced from the region by European colonization. As a land
trust, BNRC conserves land, protects wildlife and habitat, preserves local farms, and provides
free access to the Berkshire outdoors for everyone, at over 55 nature reserves across the
region. Since 1967, BNRC has helped conserve more than 100,000 acres of forest, fields,
wetlands, and farmlands, and now holds over 23,000 acres of land and conservation restrictions
and manages over 60 miles of trails.
Berkshire Natural Resources Council (El Consejo de Recursos Naturales de Berkshire) es una
organización sin ánimo de lucro que conserva el terreno, protege la vida silvestre y el hábitat,
preserva las granjas locales y contribuye a mantener los exteriores de Berkshire libres y
accesibles para todos. El BNRC está contratando personal. Aunque el trabajo que se describe a
continuación se inicia completamente o casi completamente en inglés, el BNRC agradece el
interés de los candidatos bilingües que puedan ayudar a la organización a ser más inclusiva en
BNRC is seeking a Stewardship Coordinator to join its Stewardship team. This full-time position
will coordinate the monitoring of, and assist with the stewardship of, BNRC’s portfolio of 108
conservation restrictions (CRs) and 57 in-fee reserves totaling over 25,000 acres across
Specific responsibilities include:
Conservation Restriction Stewardship
- Annual monitoring of all CRs, including all applicable CR stewardship administrative
- Ensure compliance with the CR terms, BNRC policies, and Land Trust Alliance Standards
- Work with Director of Stewardship to respond to CR-related questions, notices,
approval requests, and potential enforcement challenges;
- Preparation of baseline documentation reports for new CRs and current condition
reports for selected CR properties;
- Maintain and update all CR records using Landscape Conservation software and BNRC’s
permanent paper records archive.
Fee Simple Reserve Stewardship
- Annual monitoring of fee simple properties;
- Preparation of management plans for fee simple properties in collaboration with
colleagues and in accordance with BNRC policies and Land Trust Alliance Standards and
- Boundary maintenance and marking;
- Work with Director of Stewardship and Stewardship Team to address enforcement and
Qualifications. The successful candidate may not have all these qualifications so if you have
some, and/or demonstrably related experience, please go ahead and apply.
- Demonstrated academic and/or professional background in natural resource
management, forestry, conservation, or land surveying;
- Familiarity with ArcGIS software;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to communicate with different
personalities with tact and diplomacy;
- Enthusiastic, well-organized, detail-oriented, able to work independently;
- Physical ability to hike rough terrain, navigate in the field via GPS, comfortable working
alone in the field in all weather conditions;
- Ability to work collegially and effectively with colleagues, landowners, contractors, and
- A valid driver’s license and ability to travel extensively throughout Berkshire County.
BNRC is an equal opportunity employer.
BNRC does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability,
marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National
Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against
discrimination by federal, state, or local law.
We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. BNRC is actively engaged
in ensuring its properties are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion
in all aspects of its work.
Though the job described above will begin entirely or almost entirely in English, BNRC
welcomes interest from bilingual candidates who can support the organization in being more
inclusive in its work.
Compensation: Starting annual salary of $43,000 to $48,000 commensurate with experience.
- Medical and dental coverage
- 24 days PTO (vacation/sick/personal) and 13 paid holidays
- Flexible hours and hybrid remote/office work
- 401(k) and employer match
- Travel reimbursement
- A great team of coworkers in a welcoming office setting in Lenox, Massachusetts
Start date: Position available now; resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position
To apply: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Stewardship
Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please note: This position requires up-to-date Covid vaccination.