Employment Opportunities at Berkshire Natural Resources Council
Seasonal Stewardship and Trail positions for 2020 will be posted in winter.
September, 2019: BNRC is hiring a temporary Trail Construction Assistant.
TRAIL CONSTRUCTION ASSISTANT
This is a seasonal position (approximately September through October) focusing on the construction of new hiking trails and reconstruction of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council’s properties. The majority of the season will be spent building single track tread, constructing stone and/or timber trail features such as retaining wall, steps, and other stone work. Other duties may include hiking established trails to clear blowdowns, make minor repairs and assess other trail needs. BNRC is a non-profit land conservation organization and is taking steps to expand trail building capacity in the future; successful applicants may be considered for longer term employment in the next outdoor construction season.
- Performs trail work (with appropriate training and guidance) to a high standard of quality.
- Completes heavy reconstructive building projects including, but not limited to: single track tread construction, tread hardening, rock construction (cribbing, staircases).
- Works collaboratively as part of the Trails Team, with other staff across the organization, and with volunteers.
- Uses and maintains vehicles, tools and equipment to the highest safety standards.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to complete assigned projects and tasks, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn on the job and adopt specific construction methods and skills as prescribed.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics.
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County to work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required.
- Experience working with volunteer groups preferred.
- Interest in learning about trail design and treatments and developing trail building skills
Benefits and Salary
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, based in Pittsfield, MA. $13-$15 per hour depending on experience. Possibility of continuing employment in subsequent building seasons. Please direct inquiries to Tyler Fogg at Tfogg@bnrc.org or (413) 499-0596.