The new Everybody Can Hike / Todos Pueden Realizar Una Caminata is a user-friendly resource to share information on what to bring, what to expect, and how to stay safe on the trails.
The new accessible trails brochure, Berkshire County Trails for All / Condado De Berkshire Senderos Para Todos, was developed in response to needs suggested by community members and our partners, with the goal to create a resource both online and in print that can guide Berkshire residents and visitors to some of the accessible trails in the area. Each trail has a comprehensive description that gives enough information for a user to decide if it is a good fit for them before they visit.
The programs provides access to essential hiking supplies for a safe, fun, and educational outdoor experience.
- Borrow A Hiking Backpack at Pittsfield’s Public Library: Check out a backpack from the Berkshire Athenaeum, fully equipped with field guides, BNRC trail guides, a basic first-aid kit, a compass, binoculars, a magnifying glass, bug spray, two ponchos, and an observational journal.
- Nature Discovery Backpacks at the North Adams Public Library: Community members with a library card are able to check out a backpack from the Youth Services Department equipped with field guides, trail suggestions, a basic first-aid kit, compass, binoculars, magnifying glass, bug spray, two ponchos, an insect house, wildlife tracking card, Leave No Trace educational cards, and an observational journal.
- MassWildlife’s Pocket Guide to MA Animal Tracks - PDF
- Natural Community Fact Sheets: The Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program
- Day Hiking Checklist-REI
- Wildflower Coloring Pages - US Forest Service