Berkshire Natural Resources Council (BNRC), a private, non-profit land trust based in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, is offering a Trail Crew position to someone interested in hands on, rewarding work throughout 11,000 acres and 60+ miles of trails under BNRC supervision and some of the most spectacular natural environments in Berkshire County.
This is a full-time, seasonal position (through October 30, weather permitting) involving the construction of new hiking trails and the reconstruction/maintenance of existing trails on Berkshire Natural Resources Council properties. The majority of the season will be spent maintaining hiking trails and paths, and constructing trail features such as retaining walls, steps, bog bridging, hiking tread, and other trail features. Other duties include hiking existing trails to clear blowdowns, assess trail maintenance needs and make repairs, and other stewardship related tasks. The crew may also assist with outreach events such as volunteer workdays. Trail Crew members often work solo and self-motivation is required. Trail Crew members report directly to the Trails Coordinator.
BNRC prioritizes employee health and safety and as such, COVID-19 related guidelines are in effect. Applicants must be able and willing to follow state health and safety protocols as well as those instituted by BNRC. BNRC provides basic PPE to field staff.
- Complete reconstructive building projects including, but not limited to: tread construction, tread hardening, rock construction (cribbing, staircases).
- Perform trail maintenance (with appropriate training and guidance) to a high standard of quality.
- Work collaboratively with trail crewmates, staff across the organization, and with volunteers, youth and professional trail crews while maintaining ongoing social distancing guidelines.
- Represent BNRC with integrity and professionalism at work and when engaging with the public.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment to high safety standards.
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to complete assigned projects and tasks, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to learn on the job and adopt specific construction methods and skills as prescribed.
- Commitment to natural resource protection and Leave No Trace ethics.
- Strong commitment to quality work, a positive attitude, and a professional demeanor.
- Commitment to friendly and helpful interaction with hikers and other BNRC visitors on the trails and in public
- Interest in learning about trail design and treatments and developing trail building skills
- Must be able to hike with up to 50 pounds of gear and tools.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to travel throughout Berkshire County to work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required. Due to state COVID-19 guidelines, crew members are required to utilize personal vehicles for transportation to and from work sites. Mileage beyond a certain baseline distance will be reimbursed.
- Trail building experience or landscape construction experience is welcomed but not necessary to apply; the right candidate will have a willingness to learn, a strong work ethic, and an open mind.
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, based in Pittsfield, MA. $14-$16 per hour depending on experience. BNRC offers excellent benefits including 401k eligibility, as well as health insurance, sick and vacation time. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Tyler Fogg c/o email@example.com.